Secondary students will be able to participate in the YMCA’s NOW (New Comer Orientation Week) which runs the last week of August at one of the secondary schools. They will connect with student leaders for support throughout the year and receive an initial language and math assessment.
Who needs to receive this initial language and math assessment?
- Students who are new to Canada, entering the Ontario school system for the first time and whose first language is not English;
- Students who are re-entering the Ontario school system after an extended absence;
- Any students from a French language school in Canada;
- All International students; and,
- All students who attended schools where English was not the language of instruction.
- School runs Monday to Friday from September to June.
- There is a 2 week break for Christmas
- There is a 1 week break in March
- There is a summer break in July and August. Summer School Opportunities for ESL classes are available to secondary students (Grades 9-12).
- http://pspiledwlar.com/summernightregistrat ...
How to support you son or daughter with school and learning:
- Participate in their learning:
* Ask questions about what they did at school;
* Help them with their homework;
* Have them teach you what they have learned;
* Use online school resources like their teachers myClass website;
* Help them study for tests and quizzes; and,
* Look at old tests and help correct any mistakes;
- Check to make sure their homework is finished;
- Read to and with your children (in your own language and in English);
- Watch English television programs together;
- Attend parent-teacher meetings;
- Get involved in the school, volunteer or attend school trips;
- Attend school barbeques, sporting events, plays, concerts, science fairs, liturgies, school Mass, etc.;
- Monitor their use of television, cell phones, and computer;
- Stay informed about what is happening at the school and within the school board